Early SORRELL Records
|George Sorrell, Greene Co., GA||Richard Sorrells, Albermarle Co., VA||Joseph Sorrels|
|William Sorrell, England||William Sorrell, Culpepper Co., VA||Edward Sorrell, Wake Co., NC|
“HISTORICAL SOUTHERN FAMILIES” Volume I by John Boddie
A John, Robert and Richard Sorel registered at Oxford University
between 1273-1300. They may have been students from France. A search of
the English Calender of the State Papers should reveal how long the
family resided in England before the time of first William Sorrell in
Parish registers of Great Dunmow, Essex, Marriages 1558-1800.
1599 Apr 23 John Sorrell and Mary Paules (High Easter)
1567 June 28 John Sorrel and Tomazine Bankes
1577 Sept 8 Gregory Cooke and Margery Sorrell
1605 Nov 21 Andrew Earle and Margery Sorrell
1611 Oct 7 Constantine Livermer and Agnes Sorrell
1626 July Richard Clark and Susan Sorrell
1643 Nov 22 Richard Sorrell and Rebecca Woodward
1788 Jan 1 Richard Sorrell (Aythorp Roding) and Anne Bernard. Lic
Woodard, Parish Registers Great Dunmow, Essex, 1588-1800
1615 Nov 13 John Woodard and Alice Garrold
1617 Sept 25 Thomas Bush and Margaret Woodward
1619 June 3 Nathaniel Staines and Priscilla Woodard (Stanes0
1621 Jan 28 John Joy and Helna Woodward
1629 Nov 30 John Sturton and Helen Woodward
1636 June 6 Christopher Tyffin and Jane Woodward
1643 Nov 22 Robert Sorrell and Rebecca Woodward
1645 Apr 8 Daniel Fuller and Alice Woodward
1649 Ma 14 William Twinnow and Ellen Woodward
William Sorrell born: 1502 in High Easter, Essex, England died ? buried: Boulogne, France (as provided for in his will) wife unknown. Parents unknown.
William Sorrell of England in his will provided for his burial in Boulogne, France. The will gives no family data except that he leaves his land and affairs in the keeping of a brother, John Sorrell. It seems that a part of his estate was located in that part of Essex which is now London. The will is said to have been in French or Latin. A copy was not furnished and date not given. The Sorrells were traditionally Huguenots.
English Origins of American Colonists, p. English Origins of AMERICAN COLONISTS WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO NAMES OF IMPORTANCE IN THE AMERICAN COLONIES. BY WILLIAM GILBERT, [p.224] A DIGEST OF ESSEX WILLS. WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO NAMES OF IMPORTANCE IN THE AMERICAN COLONIES. BY WILLIAM GILBERT, page 229
132. SORRELL, THOMAS, of Great Waltham, Essex, 1 June, 1582, Yeoman. To be buried in the Churchyard To my brother William Sorrell my messuage that I dwell in with the lands etc. till my son John is 21. William to pay my wife Anne £10 per annum till that time and the residue of profits to bring up my children My tenement called Rowland Taylors in Waltham. My tenement called Fullers Bap. 26 Aug., 1565.* My two daughters Mary and Alice. Ex: brother William Wit: Thomas Edwarde Robte Haywarde and Edmunde Marrian. Proved 21 March, 1582, by sentence of Court. (Arch. Essex. Draper.)
1. Thomas Sorrell of High Easter born: 1522 in High Easter, Essex, England died ? Unknown wife
I found his Thomas in the LDS Church records: Thomas SORRELL 1510 Great Waltham, Essex, England Father: William SORRELL. The Church when to England copy Parish records there.
2 Robert of High Easter m’d a Clement who remarried Thomas Wiseman. This line later is known as Stebbing Parsonage, Essex Clerk of the Assizes.
1. John Sorrell born: 1543 in Essex, England died? John's wife was Alice Tendring
From the LDS Church: John SORRELL Birth: 1530 Much Waltham, Essex, England or Great Waltham, Essex, England Father: Thomas SORRELL; John wife Alice TENDERING Birth: 1535 Boreham, Essex, England Father: John TENDERING Mother: Jane CROCHERD.
John and Alice Child:
1. Robert Sorrell of Much Waltham born: 1563 died? Robert's wife was Margery born: 1553 in Tarling, Essex, England died ? Margery father was John Tarling of Essex (b. 1537 in Essex)
From the LDS Church records: Robert SORRELL Birth: Abt. 1572 Great Waltham, Essex, England Father: John SORRELL Mother: Alice TENDERING Robert Sorrell born: 1563 died ?
Robert and Margery Children:
1 John Sorrel DSP Aug 26,1626
2. Robert Sorrell of Writtle, Essex born: Writtle, Essex, England died ? Robert's wife was Mary Everard born: abt 1593 in Mashbury, Essex, England died: Mary father was Father: Thomas Everard Mother: Mary ? . Thomas parents were Father: Thomas Everard Mother: Joan Cornish
(Robt SORELL Christening: 27 Feb 1607 Great Waltham, Essex, England about in Essex, England. He married Mary Everard about 1615. Marriage: 1 Nov 1593 Bocking, Essex, England. From LDS Church records)
The Everard family held the Manor of Langleys in Essex; and Morant in stating how they acquired it says, “John Slixton of Hornden,Sr. and John his son did on June 26,1569, convey their moiety of the Manor of Langleys to Richard Everard.